To start off blunt, I think this book is a gross exaggeration of American society and values. I got to the second page and threw the book across the room. I read the words "Your family, like most postmodern
clans..." and almost threw up. I grew up in a small town (as did
59,274,456 Americans (
US DOT)), where calling someone's family a
clan would probably result in getting your ass kicked. Truthfully, I can't imagine anyone appreciating that kind of an insult no matter where you're from. I think about 40% of what Lasn says in this section is a fairly reasonable generalization, but the other 60% is just a disgusting display of his pissed off inner child coming out to play. For example, equating kids being outside in nature to the 5 stages of accepting death?! Maybe spending his childhood in a German Refugee camp didn’t help.
I had a hard time reading this book and taking it seriously. I feel as though Lasn has an extremely pessimistic view of the world and is trying to make everyone believe the world is goin’ down.
All of that being said, I think he called attention to some important concepts, for example: people spend too much time in front of TV’s, people don't appreciate nature, people don't spend enough time talking...all the cliché’s I've heard a million times. I just think his delivery of these concepts was (the bad kind of) ridiculous.
"I think he called attention to some important concepts, for example: people spend too much time in front of TV’s, people don't appreciate nature, people don't spend enough time talking...all the cliché’s I've heard a million times."
ReplyDeleteDo you think any of these cliches have gotten worse throughout history/ is there any value at all in what Lasn writes about the particular cliches you've mentioned?
I think that you have a point about it being an exaggeration, but if you take a look a lot of the exaggerations have a point to them and are based off of some kind of truth, which you touched on in the last part of your blog. But what do you think has gotten American culture to the point that we are at today where most people care about brand names and what culture tells them to buy?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had such an emotional response to the reading. While I would disagree with you regarding Lasn's intended purpose for using the word "clans"--it's not with a "K" afterall--your point that he has a pessimistic view of American culture is valid. Is there nothing, however, to be pessimistic (or to think critically) about?
ReplyDeleteWhat engaged you past pg. 2?
Overall I think the book is ok. It does generalize a bit so i do understand how you feel. A lot of people do spend numerous amounts of hours in front of the TV and do not appreciate the natural things like nature. I’m not much of an outdoors person, but i do like to go out. I think there just has to be some sort of balance between them
ReplyDeleteI agree that the book is very exaggerated, but he does make a few good points. As you stated though, they are all the cliches we have all heard before. But if we have all heard them before, why do you think nothing has been done about it?
ReplyDelete